Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Socks mended ... Not much else going on

This week has been slow and fast all at once, Bear is away in Christchurch up-skilling and helping out. It's the two year anniversary of the first canterbury quake and he had mixed feelings about being there at all. Still, Bear, is a brave sort, and he is dealing with it. Meanwhile I finally stopped procrastinating about visiting my medic about my oddly stiff shoulder. Seems I have a frozen-shoulder, a sort of random thing that happens to people, mostly women in their forth and fifth decade. Exact cause is unknown, possibly damage or injury, the stiffness or 'freezing' is the body immobilizing the shoulder joint so healing can take place. Current medical opinion is that treatment could be steroid injection, therapy, massage, surgery and plain old time. Apparently latest news is that there is no significant difference in rate of improvement between all those treatments or the shoulder being left to heal on its own. Good news is that it's my left shoulder and I'm right handed. Bad news is there are three stages, and I have no idea which stage I am in and overall it could be somewhere between five months and three years. Optimistically I suspect I've had this for some time already and hope I am in the frozen or thawing stages.

Mending
In amidst all of that, I've been solo parenting, which is fine, usually I am the one who abandons the other parent, so seems fitting it is my turn. I've finished the sock repair. I nearly frogged the first sock top and reworked it to match the repaired sock ... then common sense kicked in and I realized that a repaired sock has value, and is fine as it is.

Cabled sock yarn
Then there is the spinning, after my last weekend of knitting marathon, I've felt the need to spin. I've finished and plied the sock yarn and I love the way it looks. There is 300m, and it is slightly thicker than commercial sock yarn but just fine. I am looking forward to seeing how this knits up and have a cunning plan to make these special socks for a particular person who has cold feet of one kind or another. Enough said, if I say more ... you know, I will have to kill something or change my mind about who the socks are for.

Lastly is the next project, Tempest from Knitty 2008. Modified, of course, in the round defiantly, maybe top down and possibly contiguous construction. I have three skeins of a wonderful blue faced leister sock weight yarn, in a red orange named Elizabeth Bennett. All I need to do is source enough of a second yarn, tonal rather than contrasty, and do the math, and swatch ... and

The list goes on ....Bear is back Friday, away again soon after that, knitting tomorrow night if the cubs are willing ....homework done and they don't wear me out.

Take care, na Stella



2 comments:

EGunn said...

Brenda Dayne of Cast On had a frozen shoulder and used trigger point massage therapy to work it out. There's a book by David G. Simons that is very good. I first heard about it on Cast On, and have used it myself for many muscle problems with dramatic results. Might be worth a try, anyway.

Knitting Linguist said...

You have hit several of my fiber sweet spots this week. I've been wanting to spin another cabled yarn for some time; I need to find some silk to do it with (my mental image involves silk). And I have been considering knitting Tempest out of two lovely yarns my SIL dyed for me.

I am sorry to hear about your shoulder, though. Like Erica, I can really attest to the usefulness of massage in helping with things like this - it made a huge difference in my recovery from my back surgery several years back, once I finally caved and decided to go for it. Right now I'm in PT for my neck, and they're using electrical stimulation followed by massage - it's only been two weeks, so it's hard to say how it'll go long-term, but I'll let you know...