Tuesday, September 01, 2009

If that is a sock you are knitting ...

did something go 'horribly wrong?


Well no, not really, its what I like to think of as a Dr Seuss Sock, the sock that Dr Seuss would have drawn or knit. Mojo by another name. Something did go wrong ... but not with this sock, not even with my knitting - more like plans for my knitting. I found the most amazing shoes, pale nude coloured 1940's style shoes with a cute heel, a Mary Jane strap, and a large side button, on the sale table a few weeks ago - really really cheap, with leather uppers and sole. I don't do nude shoes, preferring darker colours ... but bought them and took them to a local leather dry-cleaner and dyer to be turned into dark blackish pickle green so I could wear them with Bayerische .. and 3 visits back and they are still not done ... grump, grump. grump. I was planning to start this post with a photo of Bayerische being worn ... but I'm still waiting for the shoes. Still I have Mojo ....

Which is an amazingly fun sock to knit ... I cast on last Thursday and knit two at once. I'm following the Mojo recipie and reversing the patterning so they are a negative of each other, not colour wise but rib and welt wise. When one goes 'in' the other goes 'out'. I think of these like an opposite pair if that makes any sense. Mojo is knit toe up with an afterthought heel .. and is a very quick knit - clocking in at a bare 8 days for two socks or so.

If you look close you can spot the line of bright orange yarn - my waste yarn marking the line for the heel pick up. Working the heel bends the tube into the sock shape.

And they work ... when worn the Dr Seuss shape becomes a quite respectable sock. Once I've worked the other heel I will go back to the cast off edge and add a few more rounds to the top. Bear suggested they are a tad short .. and I noticed the welts sections do shrink away some length. I think these would be an amazing fun sock gift .. and are a neat way to use up self patterning yarn, imagine the looks as some one unwrapped these 'unmatched weird shaped socks'? I think bear was most relieved when he tried them on, loose ends not woven in and all, and found they were actually reasonably well fitting socks.

Take care
na Stella

4 comments:

HODGEPODGESPV said...

you do bring joy to my heart!

Knitting Linguist said...

I must admit I'm a little relieved myself! But now I want to knit a pair, too :) I hope the new Bayerisch shoes get finished very quickly!

KathyR said...

Your socks are really cute! Looking forward to the modelling shot of Bayerische with your new shoes, too.

Anonymous said...

They Look GREAT! Glad you enjoyed knitting them!