Thursday, June 07, 2007

and another chart - less stripey this time

Today - A newer and improved chart, a plan for a 30% smaller Fair Isle baby blanket, and finally more than enough fish to enlarge the fish afghan blanket.

Off to the Frog pond we went with the baby blankie which was I think started perhaps a little prematurely, all 3 cm of it. Why did I frog?, it was a bit stipy, and not very subtle, as found in when knitted, and going to be far to big, so I'm still playing in Photoshop.

So how is this? Comments please, but first let me explain what I was trying to do. To reduce the appearance of stripes, sorry - that so sounds like a beauty commercial - "to reduce the appearance of fine lines ...", I used all the pale blue and purples in the background, then dotted the stronger and contrasty colours around. This evolved over an evenings play, so there is not a lot of depth yet, but given I've been playing for over a week - well it seems to be coming together quicker now. I'm liking this one. Already as I write this post I can see some errors, some little things to play further with.


And progress on the fish afghan, up to 97 fish, as a cricketer would say - nearing a century! This is one of the less attractive photos of my knitted fish, its dark out, and the halogen dining room light is not good, not good at all for photographing knitted fish at all. As we near mid winter in Dunedin, it is darkish until around 8:30 am, darkens back again from 5ish. Its only for a few months, but there is something cold and tiring about leaving for work in the dark and arriving home in the dusk. So 97 Fish, that makes my 12x6 fish blanket ready to get another row of 12 and a column of 7, using 19 fish, and leaving me 6 fish for the next round of additions - tonights project. There is very incremental the growth to this blanket, as mentioned before - a lot like slow food, or maybe it is organic in its original sense, growing naturally .....When I laid out these fish for the photo - I couldnt help imagining how to join them in this pattern, maybe into a hat. Imagine knitted in sea greens and blues, and with wave shapes knitted between? or crocheted, I've been listening to Brenda Dayne of course. Episode 48 I think, mixing crochet and knitting sucessfully.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Now I am having trouble visualing it all on a graph so I think you should knit multiple swatches for us and then let us pick from the real thing! Come on it will be fun!

I am sorry to tell you I tagged you with 8 random things (if you haven't been tagged already)! Sorry I know these things are kinda a pain but I suffer silly guilt over being the one to "break the chain" for some bizarre reason.

Stell said...

by Stella Suzanne PM'd me this via Knitters review, which belongs here,

Well, Blogger has locked me out again. Here is what I wrote and could not publish:
Yes. I think you are on the right track. My knowledge of FI color theory is just that: theoretical. However, I've read a bit about it and, if I understood Ann Feitelson (The Art of Fair Isle Knitting) correctly, one of the keys to a successful color scheme is to keep the background values in a similar range, so they do not compete with each other, or the contrasting motifs superimposed on them. If you do not have this book, you might want to try to get a copy from the library. The chapter on color in FI knitting is liberally illustrated with swatches showing successful and unsuccessful transitions between bands of color. One very effective illustration shows eight different combinations of the same colors. I know that there are those out there who swear that AS is the ultimate authority on FI, but I think that Ms Feitelson's book is the best primer on the subject and her approach to color is very painterly.

If you think that paragraph might be of any use to anyone else, feel free to copy and paste it into the comments on your blog. Sorry about this. Good thing we have KR!

Suzanne